High Court Enforcement Officer

High Court Enforcement Officers (HCEO) (often known as Sheriffs) are authorised by the Government and must have Associate Membership status of the High Court Enforcement Officers Association (HCEOA) to perform their duties. HCEOs abide by the National Standards for Enforcement Agents. They can seize and sell goods to cover the amount of a debt owed. They can also enforce and supervise the possession of the property and the return of goods. Unlike a County Court Bailiff, who is a civil servant, a HCEO is a private individual. In order to appoint an HCEO, a Writ of Control has to be obtained from the County Court and be presented to the High Court. The debt must be over £600.

Our appointed HCEO will attend the address of the Debtor with a view of obtaining payment or levying against assets belonging to the debtor. As the HCEO cannot charge you, the client, upfront fees. They will charge their expenses against the debtor on a successful collection with the addition of costs onto the value of your CCJ. Clearly, HCEO’s have an invested interest to ensure they are successful in locating the debtor and the debtor’s assets.

The different types of Writs that can be obtained are:

  • Writ of Control – recovery of money owed and provision for the seizure of the judgment debtor’s goods
  • Writ of Possession – recovery of land after an Order for Possession as been obtained
  • Writ of Assistance – assists in the enforcement of a Writ of Possession
  • Writ of Restitution – issued following the re-occupation of land after the execution of a Writ of Possession
  • Writ of Control and Possession – recovery of land and money
  • Writ of Delivery – recovery of specific assets


Phone Us Now

Telephone: 0845 200 4598

Fax: 020 3137 7780